Maryland State Delegate Jared Solomon recognizes the child care crisis at hand and is taking action. He introduced legislation to create a Child Care Provider Support Grant Program and we are here for it!
We are moving through the details of the legislation. We are sharing every issue, concern, success and question you’ve raised with us as we talk with partners and with other legislators. And things are moving fast! Let’s be a part of the action together.
Important dates for action
- Today: Create your free online “My GA” (“GA” means General Assembly) account so that you can submit written testimony. Just fill out this form and click the “register” button: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Account/Register/Tracking Where it asks for an organization, you can list the name of your early childhood program or you can leave it blank. Be sure to remember your password so you can log in later!
- January 29: Watch for the Resource Center’s Friday Five email for sample written testimony you can use to share your own reasons for supporting investment in child care centers and family child care programs, and ways you can contact the State Delegate who represents you and your neighborhood too.
- February 3: The General Assembly set up a way for any of us to submit written testimony online – but it must be submitted exactly 2 days before the hearing and the hearing is on February 5. Watch for an email alert from us reminding you about this, including quick instructions.
- February 4: On February 4 at 12:45 PM, there will be a virtual rally for child care. Please watch for how to join on your computer or phone!
- February 5: On February 5 at 1:30 PM, we can tune in to the Ways and Means Committee hearing on video and listen to discussion about this bill. It is one of many bills they will talk about at this meeting. Here’s more about the Ways and Means Committee: https://mgaleg.maryland.gov/mgawebsite/Committees/Details?cmte=w%26m