Prince George’s Child Resource Center currently operates the Healthy Families Prince George’s (HFPG) program for families countywide. Healthy Families Prince George’s is an affiliate of Healthy Families America is a national, research-based, home visiting program that focuses on positive parent-child interaction, healthy childhood development to enhance school readiness and the prevention of poor childhood outcomes including abuse and neglect.
We work with families experiencing high levels of stress, families that reside in Prince George’s County beginning at pregnancy and continuing until the child is three years old and ready to enter school.
The primary goals are to achieve healthy birth outcomes and prevent child abuse and neglect through the following strategies:
- Enhance family functioning by building trusting relationships and improving the family support system;
- Promote positive parent-child bond and healthy child development;
- Teach problem-solving skills; Ensure that children enter school ready to learn;
- Ensure that the family has stable housing and is free of substance abuse;
- Enable the family to become self-sufficient;
- Foster healthy development among children, monitor progress toward developmental milestones, and ensure timely immunizations and medical care; and
- Model positive parenting.
What services do families receive?
- A weekly visit by a trained Healthy Families support worker;
- A home safety checklist and a depression screening;
- Prenatal care information and assistance with developing individualized birth plans;
- Referrals to community organizations such as the Health Department, Department of Social Services, schools and private agencies based on the individual needs of the family;
- Information on parent/child bonding, health and nutrition;
- Information on child development, educational toys and books;
- Ages and Stages Questionnaire (ASQ) screening to monitor child development; and
- The opportunity for each parent to connect with others, participate in monthly peer sessions and attend field trips.
301.772.8420, ext. 1013